Top 5 jobs for with the best growth outlook
Jun 20, 2012, 9:37 a.m.
Finding good jobs isn't only a concern shared among the young just starting out. For those over the age of 55 who may be looking at emerging from retirement to seek out new career paths that will keep them busy or help make ends meet, the availability of jobs is also a primary concern. But fear not. Here is a list of top jobs for people over 55 that will prove to you there's life -- and employment -- after retirement.
- Customer Service Professional -- With a predicted job growth of 16 percent between now and 2020, the role of customer service professional is one that many people over the age of 55 are gravitating toward. Typically, the job entails working in a call center and answering questions by phone and email from customers. Call center customer service jobs are available with a variety of employers, from banks to software manufacturers, and the best part is that extensive training frequently provided and few will require previous experience.
- Retail Sales -- If you're looking for steady employment and you enjoy working with people and are courteous, there's a universe of retail stores seeking individuals just like yourself. With an expected growth rate of 17 percent between now and the year 2020, discovering a new career in retail will ensure you're never out of work.
- Office Workers -- Those interested in finding good jobs that allow them to work in a slightly more sedentary environment can find an abundance of job opportunities as office clerks and administrative assistants. As one of the top jobs for people over 55, this is a job that will keep your mind busy performing a range of tasks from answering phones to entering data. As long as you can lay claim to having basic office skills and aren't averse to learning new things, the job's projected 17 percent growth rate in the next 8 years will serve you well in remaining gainfully employed.
- Registered Nurse -- If you've ever been told that you have "the soul of a doctor" now could be the best time to put that enviable trait to use by studying to become a registered nurse. One of the most rapidly growing jobs in the country, job opportunities are expected to increase by 26 percent by 2020. RN's are usually required to have an associate's or a bachelor's degree, but many employers also hire people who have completed nursing programs in lieu of college degrees.
- Home Health Aides -- With many people entering their senior years in need of home health care assistance, the job prospects for home health aides is skyrocketing. By 2020, this career path is expected to grow dramatically at a rate of 70 percent, which means one thing: those trained as home health aides will always be able to find work, regardless of the state of the national economy or the job market.
Whether you're looking to start a brand new career or just seeking out ways to stay busy during retirement, there's no reason to think that you shouldn't be able to find work easily. The trick is to know where to look for it. The above listed top jobs for people over 55 can offer you a veritable cornucopia of exciting career paths, if you choose.
Content Provided by Spot55.com