Am I eligible for Medicare coverage of annual glaucoma screenings?
April 1, 2012
Dear Marci, Am I eligible for Medicare coverage of annual glaucoma screenings? —Gertrude
Medicare Part B covers annual glaucoma screenings at 80 percent for individuals who are at high risk. You or your supplemental insurer is responsible for the remaining 20 percent.
People are considered at high risk for glaucoma if they:
• Have a family history of glaucoma • Have diabetes • Are African American and aged 50 or older • Are Hispanic and aged 65 or older
If you are in a Medicare private health plan, you should contact your plan to see what rules and costs apply.